Q: When installing an update on Server 2016 I get the message “Your device is scheduled to restart outside of active hours”. How do I stop the server from rebooting?
A: If you look in Task Scheduler under UpdateOrchestrator you can rename/disable the reboot task. This will prevent windows from rebooting.
Let me know if this fix worked for you?
If you are like me and grew up in the 80/90’s you will remember XTree Gold. What a life saver it was, especially for people who weren’t confident in DOS.
What is XTree Gold? It’s one of the first GUI file managers made which runs on MS-DOS.
It was released on April 1st 1985 and became very popular! Unfortunately, when Windows was released it was forgotten about. Windows Explorer took it’s place.
It is ALIVE TODAY and can be downloaded from http://www.ztree.com
This post was made to remember XTree Gold.
Please leave a comment about this great program and share your XTree Gold stories! 🙂
I recently purchased a new Original Xiaomi Mi Home Smart WiFi Power Socket. Here is a quick review with some easy to read instructions for users in Australia. (The manual was completely in Chinese)
- Plug in the socket
- Open the MiHome app. The app is available for iPhone and Android. (See the search term in the screenshot below)
- Sign up to the MiHome App via mobile, Facebook or email. I clicked on the bottom right lock symbol. Here you can signup with your email address and create a login.
- Change the locale to mainland
- Click on the + symbol
- Select “Mi Smart Power Plug”
- Click Yellow light blinking and next
- Select Wi-Fi network and type in your SSID (Wireless name) and password. Click Next.
- Connect your phone to the WiFi network specified (This is the power socket) and return to Mi Home app
- It will say “Connecting” and then “Connected successfully”
- Select device location – Living room or other.
- Change device name to what you are plugging into this socket.
- Click OK
- Share the device with. someone else or “Let’s get started”
- Agree and continue
- Now enjoy controlling your power socket by your phone.
- Mobile phone remote control
- Overload protection
- High temperature resistant (Up to 750 degrees fire resistant material. Safe to use)
- LED indicator light
- Time programming
- Automation can be setup e.g If you leave home then the power socket will turn off automatically
I have plugged my PC into the socket. I changed my PC bios to always turn on the PC. This way I can vpn from anywhere into my home router and turn my PC on and off.
If you need to factory reset the socket, hold down on the button for 15 seconds.
I was setting up a new test DC server with Server 2016. When going through the setup a domain controller wizard there was an option for the forest functional level “Windows Server Technical Preview”.
I thought to myself did I install Server with a preview build??
I checked this MS KB article which verified that I wasn’t going crazy and that it’s a bug.
Install the latest CU update to fix this issue (Which as of 23/12 is KB4019472.)
After you install update 4011039, you may encounter the following issues:
- If you merge vertical cells in a table, the cell content disappears, and you can’t select the merged cell.
- If you open an existing document that has a table with merged cells, the cells are displayed as blankAs a workaround, you can uninstall this update, and your tables will return to normal. MS anticipate releasing the fix for these issues in the next monthly update that’s tentatively scheduled for October 3, 2017.
I have connected a Raspberry Pi to my TV however it changes the TV input source when I don’t want it to change.
How can I fix this?
SSH into the Pi (Use putty)
Add in: hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
I recently setup Pi-hole on my old Raspberry Pi (Model B)
What’s Pi-hole you ask?
It’s basically a DNS server that runs on your Raspberry Pi. You first need to install Rasbian O/S on your Pi.
Once this is done, with one command line you can download and install Pi-hole.
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash
Once Pi-hole is setup, you will need to login to your Router and make sure you point all client’s DNS server to the Pi-hole IP address. I also placed my Router IP as a secondary DNS just in case the Raspberry Pi is unplugged.
It has a few advantages such as:
- Blocking over 100,000 domains (including ad’s)
- Improved network performance
- Web based admin interface and stats (Gotta love stats!)
- Ability to white/black list domains.
After setting up Pi-hole, I noticed I couldn’t access Spotify (on our iphones) anymore.
The Fix: Remember to login to Pi-hole (e.g http://192.168.x.x/admin/index.php), find your client IP address. Here you can find all the domains being accessed by the client IP and white-list the spotify ones.
Is it worth buying a USB3 hard drive adapter compared to a USB2. Find out here!
Today I learnt you can use the following command to create a battery report.
What’s included in the battery report?
- It provides recent usage information e.g when the notebook was charged and the power states over the last 3 days. When your notebook started, when it was suspended and the battery capacity over time.
- Battery details such as brand, design capacity, full charge capacity and cycle count.
- Battery usage graph showing how the battery drained over time.
- Battery life estimate stats.
If you are like me and are using Win 10 1511 and have installed RSAT you will notice the tab’s inside ADUC are missing.
This is due to a bug with RSAT version v1.2 published 12/10/2016.
Solution: Upgrade to a higher build of Win 10 e.g 1607 Anniversary edition. You may be able to try and find an earlier version of RSAT, this may work also. If you find a link to the older version please let me know and I’ll post it here.
What is WSUS Offline Update you ask?
WSUS Offline Update allows you to update any computer or server without needing an internet connection. Run the updategenerator.exe to download the updates and then run updateinstaller.exe on the pc/server you want to update.
This would be very handy if you do alot of onsite work and the person/business doesn’t have a WSUS server, or no internet connection or slow internet.
Last week Microsoft quietly fixed a Windows update it recently released which prevents users from getting an IP and connecting to the Internet.
People are pointing the issue to update KB3201845 released on Dec 9 2016, which appears to break DHCP. This prevents Win 10 from automatically getting an IP address from the network.
KB4004227 has been released to resolve this issue.
“Note: This issue is limited to PCs running Windows 10 version 1607 that have not been restarted recently, and with network adapters unexpectedly showing an IP address in the 169.x.x.x range. ”
More info on MS forums.
Visio Viewer for iPad and Visio Online Preview has been released.
This will allow users to share and access diagrams from a web browser or iPad (iPhone app is coming soon).
It looks like you will be able to add realtime data into the online visio, allowing you to have a realtime map of your diagrams/networks.
You will need access to a Microsoft account or home/school Office 365 subscription.
For more details see the Microsoft link here.