I recently purchased a new Original Xiaomi Mi Home Smart WiFi Power Socket from eBay. Here is a quick review with some easy to read instructions for users in Australia. (The manual was completely in Chinese)
Links to buy: eBay Australia
- Plug in the socket
- Open the MiHome app. The app is available for iPhone and Android. (See the search term in the screenshot below)
- Sign up to the MiHome App via mobile, Facebook or email. I clicked on the bottom right lock symbol. Here you can signup with your email address and create a login.
- Change the locale to mainland
- Click on the + symbol
- Select “Mi Smart Power Plug”
- Click Yellow light blinking and next
- Select Wi-Fi network and type in your SSID (Wireless name) and password. Click Next.
- Connect your phone to the WiFi network specified (This is the power socket) and return to Mi Home app
- It will say “Connecting” and then “Connected successfully”
- Select device location – Living room or other.
- Change device name to what you are plugging into this socket.
- Click OK
- Share the device with. someone else or “Let’s get started”
- Agree and continue
- Now enjoy controlling your power socket by your phone.
- Mobile phone remote control
- Overload protection
- High temperature resistant (Up to 750 degrees fire resistant material. Safe to use)
- LED indicator light
- Time programming
- Automation can be setup e.g If you leave home then the power socket will turn off automatically
I have plugged my PC into the socket. I changed my PC bios to always turn on the PC. This way I can vpn from anywhere into my home router and turn my PC on and off.
If you need to factory reset the socket, hold down on the button for 15 seconds.
By the way have you seen the RAVPower FileHub? It's a travel Router with wifi AC750 300Mbps Wi-Fi on 2.4Ghz or 433 Mbps on 5Ghz. It includes an SD Card Reader, 6700mAh Battery and can connect an SSD hd. Make this a portable NAS to store your pics and videos or upload your SD card pics/videos to a SSD hd. This is a bargain for under $60. (Amazon USA Link)
Did our article help you? Here are some ways you can help us.
Have a look at our IT Tech Tool Kit List, need ideas on what to buy? I have listed my top 29 tools here.