When installing a new printer I have had issues with the new printer not appearing in Control Panel – “Devices and Printers”.
If the PC is behind a proxy server and does not have direct web access then it can take a few minutes or a reboot for the printer to appear.
I discovered Windows is trying to download the correct icon for the particular printer.
If you change a registry setting it will prevent doing an icon lookup and the printer will appear instantly.
- Use regedit.exe to edit the registry
- Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata
- Edit the key named PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork
- Change the value from 0 to 1
- A restart may be required.
If you need to set the new printer preferences and the printer is not appearing in Devices and Printers read this TSF article to set the printing preferences via command line.
27/May/2019 – This article is getting a lot of hits. Please let me know if this article helped you or not? Comment below. Thank you.