A client was using Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 (I know, support ends Jan 14, 2020) and could not setup email SMTP settings with port 465 (SSL) or 587 (TLS).
The error was “none of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server”
The clients email was hosted with cPanel. It is recommended not to adjust the cpanel SMTP settings to less secure for this to work.
Configure Windows 7 to use TLS version 1.2
- Install KB3140245 from Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Right click on the Start button and go to Run (Or Press Windows Key + R). Type regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
- Select the WinHttp key
- If DefaultSecureProtocols is not there create a new DWORD (32-bit) named DefaultSecureProtocols
- If DefaultSecureProtocols already exists modify it and make sure the entry is A00
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\
- Create a key called TLS 1.1
- Create a key inside that called Client
- Create a DWORD (32-bit) called DisabledByDefault
- Right click and modify the value and change it to 0
- Repeat Step 8-11 however name it TLS 1.2
- Restart to take effect.
November Special - $124.99 USD WD Elements Desktop Hard Drive 8TB. I can't believe the price! Check it out.
Did our article help you? Here are some ways you can help us.
Have a look at our IT Tech Tool Kit List, need ideas on what to buy? I have listed my top 29 tools here.