When installing a new printer at work, I have had issues with the new printer not appearing in Control Panel – “Devices and Printers”.
If the PC is behind a proxy server (Common in business/corp/edu) and does not have direct web access then it can take a few minutes or a reboot for the printer to appear.
I discovered Windows is trying to download the correct icon for the particular printer.
If you change a registry setting it will prevent doing an icon lookup and the printer will appear instantly.
Please note this fix will not help in home printer scenarios as the PC is not behind a proxy server.
- Use regedit.exe to edit the registry
- Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata
- Edit the key named PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork
- Change the value from 0 to 1
- A restart may be required.
I have written a couple of articles which explain how to:
27/May/2019 – Please let me know if this article helped you or not? Please comment below. Thank you.
Did our article help you? Here are some ways you can help us.
1. Have a look at our IT Tech Tool Kit List, need ideas on what to buy? I have listed my top 29 tools here.
2. Consider donating to go towards our website hosting costs. Thank you!