On Friday 11th of May 2018, I tried to RDP into the servers at work and could not login.
This is the error message:
I learnt that a new update to Win 10 has stopped my ability to RDP into the servers. I researched more into this and found:
- March 13, 2018 – An update to the RDP was released to Win clients and servers.
- April 17, 2018 – An RDP client update enhances the error message when an updated client fails to connect to a server which has not been patched. (Still allowing connections to unpatched servers)
- May 8, 2018 – An update to a reg setting from Vulnerable to Mitigated. When this update is installed, patched clients cannot communicate with unpatched servers (Unless you alter the registry)
After patching the servers by RDP’ing in from an older unpatched Win 10 machine I was able to RDP into the servers again, Phew!
Did our article help you? Here are some ways you can help us.
1. Have a look at our IT Tech Tool Kit List, need ideas on what to buy? I have listed my top 29 tools here.
2. Consider donating to go towards our website hosting costs. Thank you!